Thursday, July 24, 2008

Procrastination - The Way to Creativity?

~Some of the projects I have started, or have yet to start~

I hate to admit, but I procrastinate when it comes to my art. I don't know if it is because I am scared of messing up a piece, or the fact that once I start something, I can't stop it until it's finished (and then I miss being in the process of creating my art), or maybe I am scared that I'll be interrupted and put it down, only to forget about it for months (sometimes years), and come back to it and regret not finishing it when I started. This is because I then can't figure out where I was (creatively speaking) when I started it (Fibro-fog strikes again!). Maybe it's a combination of all of the above. I certainly know that any distractions are usually bad distractions and for me to create really good art: I need to be practically insomniac and avoid the phone, email, T.V. - civilization in general to hear that teeny voice telling me what, where, when, how to create (I don't need the why - it just IS).
So I procrastinate. I read book after book after book (not always bad as it's usually something I'm learning), or I clean, or I'm sore so I watch T.V. or sleep. All things that keep me away from my beading, camera, pencils, etc. It's frustrating.
I get so frustrated I finally start my project, whatever it may be....and then I LOVE it. I can't get away from it. I dream it. I see it dancing in front of my eyes. I wonder why it took me so LONG to start it.
Then I'm sore and sick and need to rest, but I've DONE it. I love it. I am it. It is wonderful :-D
Today's quote sort of makes me realize that maybe my procrastination isn't a bad thing - or at least that I am not alone in it. It all adds up to a period of time where I almost forget that I am sick, and that is heaven in itself.
Today's quote is by Brenda Ueland: "So you see, imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering."
HA! I'm not alone :)
Happy creating,
Meghann

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
This is now a copy of my main blog, Little Studio Photography and Jewellery http://www.meglittlestudio.blogspot.com. If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I will gladly try to answer it :)